Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Return to Matainui Day 2

I woke up and unzipped the tent. I stood up outside on the beach and had a huge stretch. I looked up at the sky and the black clouds had seemed to have passed. The sun was rising as I walked back towards the tent. I lay back down in my sleeping bag staring out at the horizon waiting for the others to wake up. "Ben" whispered Jordan. "What, how long have you been awake for?" I asked. "Well, I had a very bad night and struggled to get to sleep". said Jordan. "Should we wake up the others" I asked. "Nah" said Jordan, let's let them have a sleep in. 'I'm hungry, I hope I have some food left from yesterday' I thought as I opened my lunch box. 'Yus' I thought, I've got some juicy grapes left. I started eating them as Marek and Asser woke up almost simultaneously. "Oh Man" said Asser disappointed. I was hoping all of yesterday was a dream. Marek hopped outside the tent and walked down to the water and washed his face. I could hear the sound of birds chirping away in the trees which was interrupted by a loud rustling sound. "What's that" said Asser. "dunno" said Jordan. I turned around and saw it, it was a huge Moa!



"What should we do" I yelled. No one replied. I turned to Marek who was running to his bag. "What are you doing" said Asser. I'm going to catch it, come with me. "No Thanks" said Jordan. We watched in terror as Marek ran with his knife into the bush, chasing after the Moa. I hope he comes out alive" Asser said sarcastically. Marek chased it for a couple of minutes then said "I need help guys". "Okay" I said looking at Jordan's frightened face. "I will as well" said Jordan with a quivery sound to his voice. We turned to Asser, "what" he said surprisingly. "Come on" said Jordan. "Nah" Asser said lazily. We helped for about 4 minutes until we had surrounded it. Marek pulled out his knife and took one swing with the knife then another two until the Moa was lying dead still on the ground. "We've killed it!" Marek yelled to Asser. Asser started making a fire as Marek, Jordan and I took a leg each and heaved it towards the tent where Asser was starting the fire. 'It was a huge Moa, about 80kgs' I thought as we struggled to pull it towards the fire. Asser had just got the fire started as we approached the fire. "Let's skin it" said Marek eagerly. "Ummm no thanks" said Asser as we turned our heads and waited for the the sounds of guts spraying everywhere. After a couple minutes of torture the Moa was ready to be cooked. Marek had cut up certain pieces of the Moa poked a stick through it and slowly turned it until the Moa had turned to a juicy red piece of meat. I could hear my stomach rumbling like an angry Gorilla. Finally the meat was ready, and after I had finished my first delicious mouthful I could not believe how much food was going to mean to us while stranded on the island.

After finishing the Moa we all lay down with a full stomach and talked about what we were going to do for the rest of the day. "Hmmmm" said Jordan. "I wonder where everyone from our class is" he questioned. "We should explore the island" I said. "Okay" said Asser with excitement. "Lets go" said Marek. "I wonder how big the island is" stated Jordan as we struggled to stand up after the huge meal. We started our walk along the soft sand on the beach. We decided as we arrived at the mountain that we were going to walk over the sharp rocks at the base of the hill. 'Lucky we were wearing shoes when the plane crashed' I thought. It was a long hard walk and after about 10 minutes we had to stop for a rest. We sat down on the rocks facing the sea. The sun was blazing down on us. "I wanna swim' said Marek as Jordan walked to the edge of the cliff. "Hey guys come over here" he exclaimed. We ran to the edge of the cliff and looked over the edge and saw two bags that looked kind of like mine and Jordan's. "Hopefully they are" said Marek as he turned and leaned over the small cliff. "I'm gonna get them" he said determinedly as he scurried down the rocky cliff face. "Are they ours" I yelled as he walked towards the bag. "Yes" he screamed back at us.

We were now walking with our bags on our backs around the side of the mountain towards the beach where hopefully, we would find some survivors of the plane crash. As we arrived we had a little look around and could not see anyone from the plane crash so we dumped our bags by a tree and collapsed on the sand and pulled out the left overs from the Moa. We had lost a lot of energy in the walk. Asser pulled out his flint and started another blazing fire, which the Moa was placed on just to heat up. We were eating peacefully until Jordan yelled "look at that". He was staring up at the sky which made me turn my head and what I saw appeared to be a silver circle shaped UFO. "WOW" said Asser, look at that. "What the" said Marek. The strange object flew straight into the trees on the mountain. "I wonder what that is" questioned Jordan. "I want to go check that out" said Asser. "Well, why don't we" I said. "Okay" we all decided and we were off!

As we approached the mountain it was not as we had expected. The mountain was not a straight up hill as we thought. It was like a huge case of stairs 5 feet high and covered in bush. We new it was going to be hard to reach the top before night time. We started our climb which was hard and very tiring. We were now almost at the top of the mountain. We climbed one more steep then decided that we were going to camp here for the night. We all collapsed with exhaustion, then started setting up the tents. We sat down and pulled out the Moa. It was cold but delicious after a huge walk. I was eating and heard a humming sound. 'Must be a bird' I thought. "Can you hear that" said Jordan. "Yeah" I said. I was starting to think of different possibilities then realised that It was most likely the silver cylinder we saw earlier. Marek started walking away from us. "What are you doing" I said. "Going to check it out" He said enthusiastically. "Okay" said Jordan. But you have to be careful and be back here in 5. We were talking for a while about all the strange things that had happened during our time at Matainui. Marek came running back through he trees and said speedily,

"you guys you won't believe it. I got to the top of the mountain and there was a big square room full of controls and stuff. Haylee was there".He said still puffing.

"Did you get in" I said demanding an answer.

"Yes, but I got kicked out cause I tried to attack them".

"You what!" Asser said.

"I tried to attack them so we could take control"

Let's go" Marek said enthusiastically.

We all started up the mountain. Step after step. As we arrived at the huge square shaped building Marek ran up to the glass doors and pounded his fists against the doors. The doors opened slowly and Marek ran in. I followed them in and saw something I was totally unexpecting. All the walls were invisible! I could see right through every wall in the building. 'WOW' I thought as I stared through the invisible walls out at the trees. "Is this some type of spaceship" Asser questioned. "I think so" she said. "We discovered it yesterday" she repeated. "Well" said Asser. "Can we stay here"? "Hmmmm" said Maddi. They turned and huddled around in a circle beside a huge table covered with controls and discussed whether we could stay there with them. They finally turned around with smiles on their faces and said that it was okay for us to stay.

I went to bed that night wondering how this spaceship had landed on the top of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment