Monday, October 19, 2009

Return To Matainui - Day 1

As I walked towards the small seaplane floating on the calm water, I was wondering how it would be possible to fit our class in the plane. I heard a small voice which sounded familiar saying "all aboard". I was wondering who it could have been. Then Asser yelled at the top of his lungs "that's Sam". "What", I said with terror, Sam's definitely too young to be a pilot. No one seemed to mind as we boarded the plane. I sat down next to the window, daydreaming of the Matainui island our class was traveling to. I was frightened by the sudden rumble of the motor. We were slowly turning out of the dock and were heading towards the horizon. We were gaining speed then left the water and we were off.


I was bored after the first five minutes of beautiful scenery. Then I turned to my two friends sitting in the seats behind me. They seemed to have forgotten that there was an 11 year old at the wheel of the plane! I had noticed Sam, as pilot, had been flying pretty comfortably throughout the flight until the plane tipped suddenly to the left then evened out. Wow! "Must have been a huge gust of wind" said Jordan. I was staring out the window at the blue sky. You just couldn't ask for better weather, I thought. But when I turned my head and looked out the window to the right all I could see was dark dangerous looking clouds. "We seem to be heading into some horrible weather. Please fasten your seat belt" said the pilot through the microphone. "Oh dear" said Asser from behind, staring out at the thick dark clouds. Everyone was fastening their seat belts as quickly as they could. As we approached the clouds it slowly became darker inside the plane. Five Minutes had pasted and you could now hear the rain taping on the roof of the plane sounding as if mice were scurrying across the surface. Everyone was sitting in the back of their seats waiting for the loud claps of thunder and flashes of lightening to begin. Suddenly, the nightmare began.


BOOM, the thunder roared like a lion. The expressions on every ones faces told me that they were frightened. FLASH, a quick lightening bolt zapped past the window next to me making everyone jump out of their seats. "Please stay calm" said the pilot of the little seaplane. I started to calm down for about five minutes until another super bright flash of lightening hit the plane and sent an electric current through the plane. "Ahgggg" people screamed at the top of their lungs. Out of nowhere the plane started tipping forward at a super fast rate. I did the opposite of everyone else and took my seat belt of and lay on the ground under my seat hoping it would help. All I could hear was the high pitched screams from the terrified passengers on board. About 30 seconds had past and we were still heading down. Where doomed I thought. I lay there with my head flat on it's side thinking about my family, but was interrupted when my head slowly lifted of the ground. 'What' I thought. Then my legs slowly touched the bottom of the seat. At that point I decided that I was going to roll out from under the seat and when I did I couldn't believe my eyes. People were floating around inside the plane. I could still hear the shrill screaming. Which frightened me even more. I pulled myself down to the side window of the plane and saw a little island way out ahead. I then decided that I'm going to have to jump out. I was floating around with everyone in the cabin for about another 10 minutes until I thought that it was time to break free. I took the emergency hammer out of it's case and started smashing the window hopping it was breakable. A crack on the glass appeared so I decided to whack the window evn harder, so with all my might I swung the hammer straight at the center of the window and glass flew everywhere. Everyone stared at me with a confused face. I kept smashing the edges of the window until finally the window was completely gone. I started squeezing myself out the window feet first. "What are you doing" someone yelled from the back of the cabin. "Jumping" I said. I was now hanging out of the plane holding on with my two hands. I was waiting for the right time to let go. People were trying to pull me back into the plane but I said I have to It's my only chance of surviving. They released their grip of my arm and went back to their seats. My hands were slipping and my arms were aching which is when I decided to let go of the plane. I was gaining speed and felt like spewing. When I looked back up at the plane I could just visualize the faces of the people staring out the window. I was preparing for impact and could just see the plane above. 'Three Two One' I thought then splash! I hit the water in a pin dive. I managed to get a big enough breath to get back up. I reached the bottom of the ocean and took one huge push of the soft sand. A sharp pain went buzzing through my body, as I reached the surface I let out a painful scream. I looked down into the salty water at my left foot and saw a massive cut straight down the center of my foot. I looked up at the island and thought I may just be able to swim there before sundown. I then started my long painful swim to the island.


I was puffing but nearly there. I was being pulled around the tip of the island in a strong current which meant I could have a bit of resting time. As I got around the other side I could just see some sign of movement up on the beach which gave me hope. I started swimming speedily towards the shore. I stopped for a little rest and saw some weird shaped fins of in the distance. 'Oh no' I thought. I started swimming towards shore hoping it was someone from the plane crash. "Ben is that you" yelled someone from the shore line. "Yes" I yelled excitedly. "Is this Asser" I screamed. Yes It is.
As I reached the beach I lay down on the beach puffing and shaking. "Oh my gosh, how on earth did you get here" they said. I told them my story of arrival then listened to their storys. "Asser has a tent" said Jordan. 'Great' I thought. I went alone for a little stroll down the beach and saw an eight foot shadow in the forest. "Oh no" I said quietly to myself as I turned and sprinted back to the others. "You guys, you won't believe what I saw. It was a huge shadow in the forest". "I saw that too" said Jordan. "Ben can you go get some rocks to help set the tent down in the sand" said Marek. "Sure thing" I said.


Later that night I lay down inside the tent staring out at the horizon and couldn't help noticing the thick black clouds that appeared to be circling the island. They were about a kilometre away from the island and were closing in fast. Soon the clouds were about 100 meters of shore. 'Weird' I thought as I settled under the blankets asser brought. 'I hope tomorrow doesn't have as many strange surprises as today' I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment